Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Welcome to Tim's TV Talk


Welcome to Tim's TV Talk, my new blog entirely dedicated to dissecting NBC's Guys with Kids.

If you're a refugee here from my other blogs you may be wondering what's up with the new digs. It's pretty simple: I found that the more time went on and the more I wrote about pop culture the more I was enjoying discussing television as opposed to doing reviews of new movies, so I decided to just start a whole new blog more explicit about those intentions. WHAT I'M SAYING IS THAT FILM IS DEAD

No, don't get me wrong – I remain a movie lover as always, and can be found at the movie theater often enough to make it quite clear I have no life, but the internet is saturated with write-ups recommending what people go see or don't. Unless I'm truly passionate about a film, I find I have little to add to the collective dialogue surrounding it. A TV show on the other hand is a living, breathing organism, and the conversation surrounding one as you watch it grow and develop, for better or worse, can be rewarding indeed.

Since TV criticism is just a hobby and I don't want to burn myself out like I eventually did on my last blog, I'm going to aim for about nine or ten updates a month. Here's what I have in mind at the moment:

Best TV episodes of the month - On the 1st or 2nd of every new month, I'm going to list and briefly discuss what I thought the ten best television episodes of the last month were. Pretty straightforward. See examples here, here, here, and from a just few days ago here.

Random weekly episodic reviews - Once a week I'm going to review a TV episode, ideally switching shows every week. It's my hope that doing it this way will keep things fresher and frankly more fun for me than the homework assignment that trying to review every episode of certain shows eventually became (*cough* The Office Parks and Recreation *cough*). What show I do any given week won't be planned particularly far in advance and will depend entirely on what I find interesting, but I'll try to keep it as diverse as possible. I got a head start on this with Homeland this week.

Wednesday essays/lists - Every Wednesday I'm going to post a new essay or list relating to television. It could be a broad discussion of recent trends, a comprehensive look at one particular show past or present, rankings of something or other – anything goes. Just to give you an idea, a few of my upcoming plans for Wednesday posts are a discussion on whether it's better for shows to burn out or fade away, a list of my favorite underrated TV performances of 2012, a review of Spartacus up to this point, an analysis of which fairly recent shows have started to age the most badly, and a look back at the 1999 one-season wonder Mission Hill. So, basically, all kinds of shit.

News - This is only for if something really huge that I have to comment on right fucking now happens, like something on the magnitude of Dan Harmon's ousting from Community. The possibility of this is why I said "nine or ten updates a month" rather than just "nine updates a month."

Now this is not to imply that I'm completely done writing about movies – as a Bond fanatic, I am planning on saying my piece on Skyfall at some point, and on the rare week there's no TV episode I'm interested enough to discuss there's a good chance I'll fill in the gap with a movie review. (And if you really want my latest film thoughts, you can always just bookmark my Criticker page, which I update every single time I see a new movie.) It's not even out of the question that something about another medium entirely might sneak onto the blog at some point, but you can consider my priorities shifted strongly toward the idiot box.

You may also notice from the post listings on the side that I've gone through and imported all my TV writings from my old blog to this one, along with a tiny handful of non-TV posts that I was pleased with and wanted to consolidate into my now-primary blog (Bond henchmen, Bond villains, John BarryStar Wars, Ferris Bueller, GoldenEye, and NES's 25th). I will also try to be more consistent about tagging posts and whatnot to make the backlog easier to sort through if anyone wishes.

And... that's about all I have to say for the time being. Blog launched! Hope you enjoy! Or, if you don't, are at least angered enough to post outraged comments. "How could you not think The Walking Dead is the greatest masterpiece in the history of television?!!!" -- the internet

No comments:

Post a Comment